Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,438 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
A retracting bridge spanning the River Dee at Queensferry, Wales, named in commemoration of Queen Victoria's jubilee. Also called Victoria Bridge, Queensferry.
1895 Work on the bridge commenced in April 1895. T. W. Barber was chief engineer.
April 1897 bridge completed and the public allowed free passage across.
The bridge was officially opened on 2nd June 1897 by William Gladstone.
"The whole of the steel and iron work of the bridge has been carried out by the Teesside Bridge and Engineering Company of Middlesbrough and the stonework approaches, &c., by J. Schofield and Sons, of Leeds. The total cost was 14,000l., which sum has been contributed partly by the Flint County Council, who undertake the management and working of the bridge, and partly by subscriptions from the Cheshire County Council and the Hawarden estate trustees."
1926 The bridge was later replaced by a double leaf rolling bascule bridge which was also called the Jubilee Bridge (also known as the Blue Bridge) - see Queensferry Bridge
By the 1960s shipping had ceased on the River Dee. The bridge's lifting mechanism was removed and the roadway fixed permanently in place.