Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,878 pages of information and 232,615 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Joseph Richardson (c1829-1902), of Richardson, Duck and Co
A relative of Edward Richardson, father of John Wigham Richardson
1902 Obituary 
JOSEPH RICHARDSON died on September 25, 1902, at his residence, Potts Hall, Northallerton, Yorkshire, at the age of seventy-three years.
Mr. Richardson was a native of Sunderland, and a member of an old Quaker family. Going to Stockton in 1854, he entered into partnership with Mr. George Nixon Duck, and purchased the yard of the South Stockton Shipbuilding Company, which had in 1852 turned out the first two iron ships ever built on the Tees. Mr. Richardson was, up to the time of his death, the chief partner in the firm.
In addition to being a ship-owner and builder, he was a director of the Lees Bridge Works, the Malleable Iron and Steel Works, the North Brancepeth Coal Company (chairman), the Horden Collieries, and the Hulton Henry Coal Company.
In 1886 he occupied the position of High Sheriff for the County of Durham, and was on the Commission of the Peace for the Borough of Stockton, the County of Durham, and the North Riding of Yorkshire.
He was an original member of the Iron and Steel Institute.