Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,904 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Jones, Turner and Evans of Viaduct Foundry, Newton-le-Willows were locomotive builders
1838 September. Boiler explosion. Seven persons killed. Two (Three?) more died later.
They provided locomotives for the North Union Railway and the Midland Counties Railway, the latter all 2-2-2 with 5 ft 6 in (1.68 m) diameter driving wheels, and 12 in × 18 in (300 mm × 460 mm) cylinders. In 1840, they built two four-coupled 0-4-2s for the MCR. 
1863 The last engine was made (for Spain)
Jones and Potts, Newton-Le-Willows
"This firm originally started operations as locomotive builders at Viaduct Foundry, Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire, at the end of 1837 or beginning of 1838.
At that time a and for five or six years afterwards it was known as Messrs. Jones, Turner and Evans. When the change took place and Mr. Arthur Potts joined Mr. Jones, the writer does not know exactly,but it appears to have been about 1843 or 1844.
Mr Jones was the practical man who took charge inside the works and left the commercial side of the business to Mr Potts, who travelled most energetically all over the country seeking and obtaining orders for locomotives. Some years ago a considerable number of the letters written home to the firm by Mr. Potts were lent to the writer, and from them a great deal of information on the work of the old firm has been obtained."
1840 Fire Fly, Spit Fire, Wild Fire, Fire King, Fire Brand, Fire Bull