John and E. Sturge
John and E. Sturge, chemical manufacturers, of Birmingham
1831 John Sturge leased land on Wheeleys Road (opposite land he already owned), for manufacturing citrates, tartrates, bicarbonate of potash and precipitated chalk. He was joined by his brother Edmund Sturge. The works for their business, John and E. Sturge, were later built on this site.
1840 John Sturge died
1840 Arthur Albright, brother in law of Edmund, joined the business
1842 Albright became a partner
1850 Listed as at "18 Wheeleys Lane, 100 Bath Row. Sturge, John and Edmund. Manufacturing Chemists". 
1851 The Sturge brothers opened a new phosphorus plant in Oldbury, an area already much industrialized
1854 Sold the Oldbury factory to Arthur Albright.
1858 Listed as "Sturge, John and Edmund. Manufacturing Chemists. 18 Wheeley's Lane; h. Wheeley's Hill Road, Edgbaston" 
1867 Listed as "17 and 18 Wheeley's Lane, Sturge, John and Edmund. Manufacturing Chemists". 
1876 Edmund retired from business.
Sources of Information
- 1850 Post Office Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire and Worcestershire
- 1858 General and Commercial Directory of Birmingham
- 1867 Post Office Directory of Birmingham