Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,344 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Wylie Nisbet (1868-1911)
1911 Obituary 
JOHN WYLIE NISBET was born in Edinburgh on 20th May 1868.
His early education was received at Blairlodge Academy, Polmont, Stirlingshire, and his technical education at Falkirk and the Andersonian College, Glasgow.
In 1883 he began his apprenticeship of five years with Messrs. J. T. Salveren and Co. at their Redding Colliery Works, Stirlingshire, of which his father was chief mechanical engineer for many years.
On its completion in 1888 he was engaged for three years in the locomotive department of the North British Railway, Cowlairs, Glasgow, and from 1891 to 1895 he was employed by Messrs. Lucas and Aird on the construction of the West Highland Railway, where he superintended the building of plant, erecting bridges, cylinder-sinking, etc.
On the completion of the West Highland Railway he was engaged for one year on the Budleigh Salterton Railway, South Devon, and then in 1896 he went as assistant engineer for Messrs. John Aird and Co. on the construction of the Holsworthy and Bude Railway, North Devon.
In 1900 he returned to London and was appointed works manager for Messrs. Aird and Sons at Belvedere Road, Lambeth, which post he held until his death. During the period he was in London he had charge of many other works, notably the erection of piers on the River Thames for the London County Council, the building of a new wharf for the Gas Light and Coke Co. at Deptford, the timbering, shoring, and clearing of the roof of Charing Cross Stations after the collapse that took place.
His death took place in London on 17th February 1911, in his forty-third year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1909; he was also Chairman of the Junior Institution of Engineers at the time of his death.