John Wood and Co
John Wood, shipbuilder, of Port Glasgow
1811 John Wood and his brother, Charles Wood (who had started shipbuilding in Quebec before returning to the Clyde and opening a yard in Dumbarton), took over their father's Port Glasgow shipyards when John Snr. died in 1811.
1812 Under John's management, Messrs. John Wood and Co. then built the PS Comet, Europe's first viable commercial steam vessel, for Henry Bell. The 28-ton paddle steamship was 45 feet long and 10 feet broad
1814 At the end of the year, the Margery moved to London, to become the first steamer to reach London from an outside port; soon followed by another Wood-built vessel, the Argyle, later re-named Thames, early in 1815.
John Wood was noted for building sailing ships which were greatly admired for fine workmanship and symmetry. They were fondly referred to as 'Wood's Yachts'.
Sources of Information
- The Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Difussion of Useful Knowledge, by Charles Knight, 1842, Volume 22
-  Clan Wood Society