Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,404 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Robert Hyde (1884-1938)
1938 Obituary 
JOHN ROBERT HYDE was chairman and managing director of Messrs. Robert Hyde and Son, Ltd., of Chesterfield and Stoke on Trent. He was born at Darnall, Sheffield, in 1884, and entered the University of Sheffield in 1899, where he graduated in metallurgy two years later. He then joined the firm established by his father at Abbeydale Foundry, for the manufacture of railway fittings, chiefly axleboxes, lubricators, etc.
In 1905 he became a partner in the business and on the death of his father twelve years later he succeeded to the management. A white-metal foundry had been added by Mr. Hyde in 1912 and a steel foundry, electrically operated, in 1916. His next step was the building and equipping of a new works at Chesterfield, with iron foundry and gunmetal foundry for the manufacture of railway fittings. In 1928 Mr. Hyde took over the Stoke on Trent works of the former North Staffordshire Railway and converted the premises into a steel foundry producing cast steel axleboxes. A new machine shop was added so that these parts could be supplied in the finished condition.
Mr. Hyde, who was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1925, was transferred to Membership in 1935. He served on the British Standards Institution Committee for Tests on Grey Iron Castings and was a past-president of the Sheffield Branch of the Institute of British Foundrymen. In addition he served on several industrial committees, and was for three years President of the Stoke on Trent Engineering Society. His death occurred at his home at Dore, Sheffield, on 11th June 1938.