Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Johnson (1780-1863)

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 11:15, 20 June 2021 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

John Johnson (c1780-1863)

1803 Married in Manchester to Betty Fildes

1806 Birth of Daughter Elizabeth (1806–1869)

1807 Birth of son Thomas Fildes Johnson

1809 Birth of son Richard Johnson

1811 Birth of son William Johnson

1816 Birth of daughter Mary

Early 19th century: John Johnson purchase the wire works on Long Millgate, Manchester, that had been established by James Howard (of Manchester).

1816 Formation of Russell, Johnson and Sharrocks

1818 Johnson moved the works to the corner of Hanging Ditch and Withy Grove. The business presumably became Johnson and Sharrocks

1828 Moved the business to Edge Street, Shudehill. The business expanded to additional premises in Dale Street, and in Lees Street, Ancoats.

1838 John Johnson handed his business to his sons, Richard and William; the name was changed to Richard Johnson and Brother.

1841 John Johnson 60, independent means, lived in Broughton with Elizabeth Johnson 60, William Johnson 30, Mary Johnson 25, John Johnson 5[1]

1851 Living at Park Place, Broughton, Salford: John Johnson (age 71 born Manchester), Retired Wire Merchant. With his wife Elizabeth Johnson (age 69 born Manchester) and their daughter Elizabeth Johnson (age 44 born Manchester). Two servants.[2]

1863 October 10th. Died. Probate to his sons Thomas Fildes Johnson of Rose Bank, Bolton Road, Pendleton, a Merchant, and Richard Johnson of 27 Dale Street, Manchester, Iron Manufacturer, Wire Drawer and Galvaniser.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. 1841 census
  2. 1851 Census