Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,690 pages of information and 227,385 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John James Bleckly

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 09:20, 8 October 2016 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

John James Bleckly (1842-1930) of the Pearson and Knowles Coal and Iron Co

1930 Obituary [1]

JOHN JAMES BLECKLY died on 10th January 1930, at the age of 87.

He was a well-known figure at Warrington, where he had formerly been managing director of the Pearson and Knowles Coal and Iron Company since 1887. He was born at Newcastle and served his apprenticeship in a locomotive works at Leeds.

Upon its completion in 1863 he was appointed secretary, engineer, and general manager, of the Warrington Wire Iron Company which had been founded in that year by his father.

In 1874 the business, which had prospered under his management, was amalgamated with the Dallam Forge Company and the collieries of Messrs. Pearson and Knowles, of Wigan, Mr. Bleckly being appointed joint general manager of the combined firms, with his brother Mr. W. H. Bleckly.

He was also a director of Messrs. Rylands Brothers, and took an active part in the formation of the Partington Steel and Iron Company, of which he was one of the first directors.

Mr. Bleckly became a Member of the Institution in 1867, and was the oldest surviving Member on the register.

1930 Obituary [2]

JOHN JAMES BLECKLY, M.I.Mech.E., formerly managing director of Pearson and Knowles Coal and Iron Co., Ltd., Warrington, passed away on January 10, 1930, at the age of eighty-eight.

In 1863, on completing his apprenticeship, he became secretary and general manager of the Warrington Wire Iron Co., founded by his father in that year. Later the firm was amalgamated with the Dallam Forge Co., and with collieries of Pearson and Knowles, of Wigan, in 1874, and Mr. Bleckly And his brother became joint general managers of the combined business which commenced operations under the above title in 1887.

Mr. Bleckly was an original member of the Iron and Steel Institute, having taken up membership in 1869.

See Also


Sources of Information