Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Fiechter, Sons and Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 14:37, 5 March 2021 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

of Central Foundry and Engineering Works, 75 to 81 Naylor Street, Liverpool

1882 Patent. Emile Fiechter of John Fiechter and Sons, air filtering apparatus for millstones.[1]

1884 Share issue. 'DIRECTORS. R. Willoughby Vining Esq., General Merchant, 23, Bandon Bridge. Liverpool. Emile Fiechter, Esq., Mill Furnisher and Mill Builder, Naylor-street, Liverpool. Samuel Jones, Esq., Engineer, Warrington. John J. Booker, Esq., Engineer, 186, Salisbury-road, Anfield. Andrew McNeil, Esq., Shipbuilder and Engineer, 7, Violet-street, Toxteth Park.....The above Company been formed for the purpose of acquiring and developing the valuable business of the well; known firms of Messrs. John Feichter and Sons, Flour Mill Builders and Engineers, Central Foundry and Engineering Works. Liverpool, and Messrs. Wm. Jones and Sons, Manufacturing Engineers and Boiler Makers, Bewsey Mill Foundry, Warrington. The Liverpool Works is leasehold property, and the Warrington Works is freehold property. Flour Mill Building on the new process of grinding the wheat has become a great industry throughout the whole world. The old stones are replaced by chilled iron rolls, which have a great many important advantages over the former, and owing to their adoption on the Americas: and European continent, large quantities of foreign flour, of superior quality to home made, are being imported into this country. and thus the millowners of the United Kingdom, of which there are about 11,000, recognise that in order to be able to compete with foreign flour, manufactured on the new system, they must at once re-model their mills, and adopt the new system - but of the above 11,000 mills over 200 have already been altered. Roller Mill System.— These rolls are used exclusively in connection with greatly improved dressing and purifying machinery, and the flour and bran produced thereby are of a superior quality. The introduction of the above improved system of milling in various mills in the United Kingdom has proved in every case a financial as well as a commercial success to the respective mill-owners, and Messrs. Fiechter's are now well known as among the best mill builders in the United Kingdom, and certainly their well-studied system of Gradual Reduction I Milling, based upon great experience and practice, is second to none. The new Company proposes to continue the manufacture of the Special Flour Mill Machinery, so far made by Messrs. John Fiechter and Sons, at their works in Liverpool, and the erection of entire Flour Mills, &c.; and to increase the capacity of the firms, so as to be able to cope with the great demand for Fiechter's Machinery System and general Millwright work, a large portion of the work will be done in Warrington, at the Bewsey Mill Works, which are well fitted up and arranged for the purpose The Company will also undertake to execute, as before, orders for Messrs. Jones and Sons, well-known Boilers, Engines. &c. The Directors have, furthermore, made arrangements with the inventor, Mr McNeill, for the manufacture of a new Tram Motor, driven by gas. The first Car is already in hand. This new invention promises to become a great success. It is estimated that the cost of the Motor will not exceed that of a set of horses to work an ordinary tramcar, while the saying will be from eight to nine pounds per week per car. The Motor is self-propelling, and may be worked continuously any length of time or distance without stopping, except for a short time once a week for cleaning purposes. '[2]

1886 Advert: 'To be Sold or Let, the extensive Freehold PREMISES, 75 to 81. Naylor-street, lately in the ocupation of Messrs, J. Fiechter and Sons, engineers, ironfounders, &c, containing 1503 square yards, Apply to David Walker. Esq., architect, Queen-buildings, Dale-street; or to R. K. Walker, Clarendon Rooms, South John-street.'[3]

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Liverpool Daily Post - Saturday 09 December 1882
  2. Warrington Examiner - Saturday 27 September 1884
  3. Liverpool Mercury - Thursday 10 June 1886