Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,437 pages of information and 230,044 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Evelyn Williams

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 09:19, 30 September 2019 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

John Evelyn Williams (1845-1895)

1895 Obituary [1]

JOHN EVELYN WILLIAMS, born on the 6th of January, 1845, commenced his engineering career at the age of fourteen when he entered the drawing-office of the Mersey Dock Estate at Liverpool.

He soon proved himself to be diligent in seeking information, hardworking and trustworthy, and remained in the service of the Dock Estate until May, 1865, when he was appointed assistant to the engineer of the Bristol Docks.

At the close of the following year he became chief assistant to R. A. Marillier, Engineer to the Hull Dock Co, under whom he remained until the end of 1871.

In the following June Mr. Williams was appointed Resident Engineer on the Whitehaven Dock and Harbour improvement works, under Sir James Brunlees. For five years he remained in charge of those works, the nature and extent of which were fully described in a Paper he presented to the Institution in 1878. For that Paper he was awarded a Telford Premium....(more)

At the end of 1877 Mr. Williams obtained the responsible post of surveyor to the Witham Drainage Commissioners....(more)

See Also


Sources of Information