Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1774 Started building coaches
1825 Constructed railway carriage for George Stephenson
1835 Mentioned as John Atkinson, Coach Manufactory, 93 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle.
1836 Mentioned as John Atkinson, Northumberland Coach Manufactory, 93 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle.
1839 Fire destroys premises in Pilgrim street. 'We have this week to record the particulars a most destructive fire, which occurred the premises of John Atkinson, the eminent and highly respected Coach Builder, Pilgrim-street, in this town, towards the morning of Friday last, and which has carried dismay almost every part the town. The premises are situated between Pilgrim-street on the one side, to the west, and Erick-street the other, the former, being one the principal streets of the town, and the latter, a back street, running parallel thereto; and they covered altogether less than two acres ground. The manufactory itself occupied the rear the premises, abutting Erick-street, the other end, towards Pilgrim-street, consisting of dwelling houses, forming the east side the street, and being in the occupation of the proprietor. The communication between the front and tear of the premises was maintained internally, and a spacious area occupied the centre. The show rooms ran along the south side of the yard, the upper stories being occupied as model rooms and the offices, etc, belonging to the establishment were situated the site side. Such was the relative position the several parts of these extensive premises previous to the dreadful catastrophe, which has converted the greater portion of them into a mass of ruins. The workmen, whom there were nearly 200 in number, all of whom have been thrown out of employment in consequence of the devastation, had left work the preceding evening at nine o'clock, when all seemed perfectly safe....[much more]'
1840 March. Becomes Atkinson and Philipson. 'JOHN ATKINSON desires to return his most grateful Thanks to the Nobility, Gentry, and the Public generally, who have so long Patronized the above Establishment, and to inform them that he has taken Mr. G. H. PHILIPSON into Partnership, and that the Business in future will be carried on under the Firm of Atkinson and Philipson. MESSRS. ATKINSON & PHILIPSON beg to intimate, that the Manufactory has been entirely rebuilt since the late Fire, upon a much extended and improved Plan and that, in point of Extent and Capabilities, they believe it will not be exceeded by any similar Manufactory the Kingdom. They desire particularly to Notice, that a Part of the Factory has been built and fitted up expressly for every Description of Railway Carriage Building; and the Advantages which they possess, from the Arrangement of the Shops and the Application of Steam Power in the more heavy Work, will enable them execute Orders in this Department to very large Extent; and, application, they will be happy to give References to Four Railway Companies which have been supplied with Carriages from the Manufactory....[More]'