Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,370 pages of information and 230,032 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Wilson (1823-1904)
1823 Born in Woolwich, son of William and Margaret Wilson, cheese monger
1861 James Wilson 37, civil engineer, living in Lewisham, with Maria C Wilson 31, Maria K Wilson 10, William E Wilson 8, Charles H Wilson 6, James F Wilson 4, Ralph F Wilson 3, Edmund O Wilson 1, and a daughter of 1 mo
1881 James Wilson 57, civil engineer, married, living in Felpham, with Charles H. Wilson 26, Ralph F. Wilson 23, Alice E. Wilson 20, Amy L. Wilson 17, and his grand-daughter Dorothy K. Pullin 5
1884 Married Cecilia Emma Tudor Pullin, widow, age 30, in Baywater
1901 James Wilson 77, civil engineer, living in Tenby with Cecillia Wilson 47 and his step-daughter Marjorie Pullin 17
1904 Died in Tenby; Charles Horace Wilson was executor
1904 Obituary 
JAMES WILSON, who died on the 13th April, 1904, in his eighty-first year, obtained his preliminary training under the late John Hague, and was subsequently employed by various firms upon railway construction work, in the design and erection of machinery, and on the construction of gas- and waterworks and other engineering structures.
Between 1857 and 1862, he was engaged as principal Resident Engineer upon the construction of the Altona Gasworks, superintending their working for two years of that time, and afterwards of the waterworks for the same city, Thomas Hawksley, Past-President, being the Consulting Engineer.
From 1862 until his death, he practised on his own account as a civil engineer, designing and carrying out gasworks for many continental cities, including Como, Genoa, Milan, Moscow, Ravenna and Strasburg. He also acted as the Engineer in this country for the works and equipment of the Cordoba and Tucuman Railway in South America.
Mr. Wilson was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 7th February, 1860, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 29th May, 1877.