Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Radley (c1790-1885) of Lea Green Colliery and others
Married Fanny Prescott
1873 Made the fourth mayor of St. Helens and served three successive terms.
1876 Radley opened the new Town Hall and presented a large gold chain of office to St. Helens Corporation, as well as a clock which was placed in the Parish Church's tower. Radley was also a benefactor of St. Johns Church, Ravenhead and is acknowledged on an inscription in the church.
1884 Birth of his son James Radley
1885 March 28th. Died.
1885. Obituary. 'DEATH OF A LANCASHIRE COALOWNER. The death of Mr. James Radley, proprietor of the Nut Grove, Lea Green, and Sutton Heath collieries, which are situated midway between Manchester and Liverpool, and adjoin the London and North-Western Railway, took place on Saturday afternoon. The deceased gentleman, who was 75 years of age, was an alderman of the borough of St. Helens, and was elected mayor three times in succession. In 1876, in his official capacity. opened the new town hall, which had then been just completed at a cost of £30,000, presented a massive gold chain of office to the corporation, and a public clock, which was placed in the tower of the parish church. He was also a borough magistrate. For about eight years the deceased alderman resided at Dunnow Hall, near Clitheroe, but returned to St. Helens four years since, and took Sherdley Hall, where he resided at the time of his death. He was well known by coalowners throughout the county'
Will proved by his widow Fanny Prescott Radley