Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Golby Barford

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 12:30, 20 July 2018 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

James Golby Barford (c1861-1923), chairman of Barford and Perkins and of AGE - Agricultural and General Engineers

son of William Barford.


1923 Obituary

"We regret to have to announce the death, on the 29th ult., of James Golby Barford, chairman of Barford and Perkins, Limited, of Peterborough. Mr. Barford, who was in his sixty second year, was the son of the late Mr. William Barford, one of the founders of the firm. He was educated at a private school and at Christ College, Finchley, subsequently spending a year in Austria before serving his apprenticeship with E. R. and F. Turner, Limited, engineers, of Ipswich. Since his election in 1905 he was, up to his death, on the Council of the Smithfield Club, as was his father before him for many years. He was a prominent life member of the Royal Agricultural Society of England, and was on the Councils of the Peterborough Foxhound Show and the Peterborough Agricultural Society. When Barford and Perkins, Limited, combined their interests with those of the Agricultural and General Engineers, Limited, he was elected to the Board of the latter company. During the war he was actively connected with the Red Cross, being assistant county director of the Soke of Peterborough Division of the Northamptonshire Red Cross Committee. He was also chairman of the special committee which was set up to run the auxiliary military hospital at the Bishop of Peterborough's Palace.[1]



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1923/07/06