Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,402 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Duncan Constable

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 10:36, 15 September 2015 by SharronN (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

James Duncan Constable (c1904-1944)

1946 Obituary [1]

JAMES DUNCAN CONSTABLE was educated at Beaumaris Grammar School and served his time as a premium apprentice with Messrs. Cammell Laird and Company, Ltd., of Birkenhead, from 1921 to 1926. At the same time he attended classes in the engineering course at Liverpool Technical College. He then went to sea and for fifteen years was a marine engineer on board various vessels owned by Messrs. Bibby Brothers and Company, rising from junior to second engineer, and obtaining his First-Class Board of Trade Certificates for both steam and Diesel marine engines, in which he had wide experience.

After his discharge in 1942 on account of ill-health, he entered the Royal Ordnance Factory at Reading, where he was engaged as chief steam and combustion engineering manager, with responsibility for the installation of two batteries of boilers, each aggregating 90,000 lb. per hour evaporation, complete with all equipment, and subsequently had the charge of their operation and maintenance. In his final position, which he took up in the following year, he acted in a similar capacity for Midland Tar Distillers, Ltd., at Oldbury, to whom he was entirely responsible for all generating processes and development, with the addition of similar responsibility in twelve other works of the firm in various parts of the country.

Mr. Constable was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in April 1944, and his death, which terminated a promising career at the early age of 40, on 21st July, occurred only three months after his election.

See Also


Sources of Information