Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

J. Parnell and Son

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 12:44, 11 October 2019 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Messrs. J Parnell & Son, builders and building contractors

c.1850 Established by William Bishop Parnell (1791-1864). Succeeded by his son John Parnell (1816-1885). A well known company of family building contractors based in Oliver Street, Rugby, Warwickshire.

1948 Became a private limited company

Work in the town of Rugby includes:-

  • Restoration of the parish church of St Andrew, following demolition in the 19th century.
  • Holy Trinity Church.
  • Rugby School Chapel.
  • The Clock Tower in Rugby town centre.
  • The old water tower in Barby Road.
  • Schools in the Rugby area including the Sunday School Chapel.
  • Rugby Railway Station.
  • Dolls' house in Oliver Street, Rugby (including its wooden furniture) for the British Empire Exhibition in Wembley, Middlesex 1924, the house was placed in Windsor Castle following the Exhibition.

Work outside Rugby includes:-

  • Keble College Chapel, Oxford and Oxford municipal buildings.
  • Laboratory departments for John Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford.
  • Railway Stations: Stafford, Crewe, Holyhead, Nuneaton and Market Harborough.
  • Military depots at Derby and Richmond.
  • 120 houses in New Bradwell, near Wolverton, Buckinghamshire.
  • Holyhead Hotel and docks' extension.
  • St Paul's Schools, London.

See Also


Sources of Information

  • Family history archives - Rugby Library.
  • Leicester Evening Mail - Monday, March 21st 1960.