Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,909 pages of information and 230,121 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Institution of Electrical Engineers or IEE was a British professional organisation for electronics, electrical, manufacturing and IT professionals.
1871 May 17th. The fore-runner of the IEE was the Society of Telegraph Engineers (STE) which came formally into existence at a meeting held in 2 Westminster Chambers, Victoria Street, London. The prime mover in this endeavour was Major Frank Bolton. He had been made an unattached major as a reward for his services to army signalling in 1868. At the first meeting Bolton and seven others attended. They appointed a President (Charles William Siemens 1823-1883), two vice-Presidents (Lord Lindsay 1847-1913 and Frank Ives Scudamore 1823-1884), a Council of eleven members, a Treasurer and Librarian, an Honorary Secretary (Frank Bolton) and two Auditors.
1880 At the General Meeting of the STE on 22 December 1880 it was decided to alter the title to reflect the changes in electrical technology of the day and was renamed The Society of Telegraph Engineers and of Electricians.
1887 At a meeting of the Council on 10 November 1887 a motion was put forward to alter the name to the Institution of Electrical Engineers to reflect its representation of the body of electrical engineers in England.
On 1 January 1889 the Register of Joint Stock Companies issued his Certificate of Incorporation to the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE).
1982 There were 80,000+ recorded members. Address was: West End.
1988 Absorbed the Institution of Electronic and Radio Engineers