Ilford Gas Co
The Ilford gas company's works were situated on Ilford High Road, Little Ilford, near the River Roding bridge. The original gasworks site may have been on the north side of the Romford Road, but the main gasworks developed south of the Romford Road. It had no rail access, but barges could reach the gasworks, which was at the highest navigable point on the River Roding.
1839 The undertaking was founded as a private concern
1873 Provisional Orders were made.
1899 The company obtained full statutory status. The Ilford Gas Light & Coke Company was reincorporated as the Ilford Gas Co.
Because the company's area of supply was densely populated and despite fierce competition from the council-owned electricity works, the Ilford Company faced pronounced increases in demand as from 1900 so the plant was updated regularly.
1903 An inclined retort house was built and was enlarged in 1906.
In 1908 and 1912 carburetted water gas plants were added.
1921 The old horizontal retort house was replaced, and operated experimentally until being demolished in 1923.
Sulphate of Ammonia was produced at the works, and at a cheaper rate than that made at the Gas Light and Coke's Beckton Product Works.
1922 the Gas Light and Coke Co purchased the undertaking, closing the works, but retaining the holders.
1949 Vested in the North Thames Gas Board
1955 The governor house was destroyed by fire.
1959 The No.1 column guided GH was still in use but has since been demolished
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] National Archives
- The Manufactured Gas Industry in England: Volume 3 Gazetteer. Historic England
