Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,991 pages of information and 232,842 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Moss Side, Manchester
1863 Alfred and Ralph Hyde acquired a small brewing concern from their grandfather Thomas Shaw.
By 1899, William Hyde was in charge. The business had moved to the Queens Brewery site in Brooks Bar, Manchester.
Began acquiring an estate of public houses.
1916 William Hyde’s sister Annie took over the business after William died; she continued to run it for 56 years.
1944 the company was re-named Hydes Anvil Brewery to incorporate the family trademark
Hydes is still owned and managed as a family business.
2012 The brewery was moved to a site at Kansas Street, Salford.