Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,279 pages of information and 230,174 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1874 Charles Hunting, a veterinary surgeon, founded a shipping business, originally known as Hunting and Pattison, which was managed by his son, Charles Samuel Hunting. It had 2 sailing ships, the Genii and the Sylvia.
1891 Partnership of C. Hunting, C. S. Hunting and W. J. Pattison was dissolved - operated as Hunting and Pattison of London and Newcastle (ship managers and brokers), and Hunting and Co of London (agents and ship store merchants)
In the 1890s the company invested in oil tankers and became a tanker broker.
WWI Charles Samuel's son Percy served in the RFC.
Post WWI The business was in poor shape, with only two of its ships still afloat.
1921 Brothers Percy and Lindsay Hunting over the business after the death of their father, Charles Samuel Hunting. Instituted a rebuilding programme, mainly oil tankers.
1926 Became a private limited company, with Percy Hunting as chairman, a position he occupied for the next thirty-five years. The firm also acquired new interests in shipbroking.
1930s Shipping business slumped. Invested in oil production, and distribution in Lancashire
1938 Acquired a minority shareholding in a small aircraft servicing company based at Croydon Airport called Rollasons. Acquired a shareholding in the Aircraft Operating Co and its subsidiary Aerofilms, which took the group into aerial survey and mapping.
1939 increased stake in Rollasons to a majority.
WWII Manufactured airframe components for a variety of military aircraft at Croydon and at a new factory in Llanberis in North Wales. Took complete control of Rollasons in 1941, changing its name to Field Air Services.
1944 Purchased Percival Aircraft Ltd, manufacturers of complete aircraft
1945 Hunting entered the airline business and established Hunting Air Travel Ltd, a business headquartered at Luton Airport.
1946 The new airline began commercial operations from Bovingdon Airport at the start of 1946.
1951 Hunting Air Travel changed its name to Hunting Air Transport.
1953 Main divisions of the company were: 
1953 The Hunting family decided to split the group and to transfer their airline business to a new holding company which they had set up together with the Scottish Clan Line shipping company; the airline was named Hunting-Clan Air Transport
1954 Percival renamed Hunting Percival Aircraft
1957 Hunting Percival was renamed Hunting Aircraft
1960 Hunting and Airwork agreed to merge their air transport interests including the Hunting-Clan airline to form the new airline British United Airways which would be based at Gatwick; a helicopter division would be formed from the 2 helicopter companies.
1962 Formation of Hunting Light Industries to bring together the various engineering activities of the group
By 1971 Hunting Associated Industries, a public company, was handling aircraft servicing, etc
By 1973 Hunting Gibson, a public company, handled ship and air broking and related activities
By 1986 Hunting Group was a public company
1990s Hunting became involved in defence contracts
1993 a member of the winning consortium contracted to manage the Atomic Weapons Establishment, a contract that lasted until 2003.
1997/8 Disposed of its aircraft-related activities by sale to other companies
More recently, it has refocused on its oil and gas activities.
2008 Disposed of Gibson Energy, its operation transporting and marketing crude oil in Canada,
2010 Acquired Innova-Extel Acquisition Holdings Inc.
2011 Hunting announced the acquisition of Dearborn Precision Tubular Products