Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,408 pages of information and 233,867 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Drummond Staniar (1882-1935)
1935 Obituary 
HENRY DRUMMOND STANIAR was mechanical and electrical officer in the works and buildings department at the Royal Air Force, West Drayton, Middlesex.
He was born at Higher Broughton, Manchester, in 1882, and received his technical education privately and at Manchester Technical School (Newton Heath Bank). He served a five years' apprenticeship, commencing in 1898, with Messrs. Shaw Brothers, of Newton Heath, afterwards gaining additional experience at Peel Works, Salford, and with Messrs. Staniar, Clegg and Company, Ltd., pumping plant and machine tool makers, in which firm he became a partner in 1905.
Mr. Staniar studied engineering methods on the Continent from 1909 to 1911; on his return to England he was appointed manager of the Manchester branch of Messrs. Hughes and Young, Ltd., consulting engineers and patent agents. During the War he served in France with the Royal Engineers. In 1918 he was made chief mechanical engineer to the Air Construction Service (Northern Area) of the Royal Air Force, with charge of all personnel and plant. from the northern boundary of Essex to the Shetland Islands. He also took charge of the railway, locomotives, and steamships belonging to the Royal Air Force.
He entered the Air Ministry in 1920 as a civil engineer, his service being performed in the works and buildings directorate.
From 1921 to 1924 he was stationed at Cairo, the Middle East headquarters, with responsibility for the mechanical and electrical services, and subsequently served for four years at the Air Ministry, in the directorate of works and buildings, as mechanical and electrical officer. During this period he made a six months' tour of special duty in Iraq.
In 1929 he received his appointment at West Drayton, and held this position at the time of his death, which occurred in London on 21st August 1934.
Mr. Staniar was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1912 and was transferred to Membership in 1920. He was also a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.