H. and R. Johnson Tiles
of Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, Makers of glazed tiles
as Alfred Meakin, Highgate Tile Works, Tunstall
as H. and R. Johnson, Tile Works, Cobridge
as Sherwin & Cotton, Eastwood Tile Works, Hanley.
1901 Harry Johnson (1878-1955) and Robert Lewis Johnson (1880-1946), sons of Robert Lewis Johnson senior (1856-1909), set up business as H. and R. Johnson. Robert Lewis Johnson senior was the son of Robert Johnson (1822-1917), a farmer.
1904 Robert Lewis Johnson retired, and was succeeded by A. G. Johnson
1908 The business of Alfred Meakin was purchased
1911 The business of Sherwin and Cotton was acquired.
H. and R. Johnson was incorporated as a Limited Company.
1914 Managing Directors: Harry Johnson and Alfred G. Johnson. Claimed to own the largest glazed tile business in Great Britain.
1936 Public company, H. and R. Johnson Ltd, was incorporated to acquire a private company of similar name
1968 H. and R. Johnson-Richards Tiles controlled 70 percent of the British market in pottery tiles
By 1986 the name had been shortened to H. and R. Johnson Tiles Ltd
1997 Queen's Award for Environmental Achievement
Sources of Information
- The Times, Jan 14, 1936
- The Times, Apr 01, 1968
- The Times, Aug 19, 1968
- The Times, Aug 05, 1969
- The Times, Jan 23, 1980
- The Times, May 23, 1986
- The Times, April 21, 1997