Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,552 pages of information and 228,008 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Great Northern Railway"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: The Great Northern Railway (GNR) was a British railway company, founded by the London & York Railway Act of 1846. The main line ran from London via Hitchin, Peterborough, and Grantham, to...)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The Great Northern Railway (GNR) was a British railway company, founded by the London & York Railway Act of 1846.
 
The Great Northern Railway (GNR) was a British railway company, founded by the London & York Railway Act of 1846.
 +
 +
The contract for the first 75½ miles of the line was awarded to [[Thomas Brassey]] who worked with [[J. Cubitt]] as the engineer
  
 
The main line ran from London via Hitchin, Peterborough, and Grantham, to York, with a loop line from Peterborough to Bawtry south of Doncaster via Boston and Lincoln, and branch lines to Sheffield and Wakefield. A good deal of it later became part of the East Coast Main Line.
 
The main line ran from London via Hitchin, Peterborough, and Grantham, to York, with a loop line from Peterborough to Bawtry south of Doncaster via Boston and Lincoln, and branch lines to Sheffield and Wakefield. A good deal of it later became part of the East Coast Main Line.

Revision as of 15:34, 3 March 2007

The Great Northern Railway (GNR) was a British railway company, founded by the London & York Railway Act of 1846.

The contract for the first 75½ miles of the line was awarded to Thomas Brassey who worked with J. Cubitt as the engineer

The main line ran from London via Hitchin, Peterborough, and Grantham, to York, with a loop line from Peterborough to Bawtry south of Doncaster via Boston and Lincoln, and branch lines to Sheffield and Wakefield. A good deal of it later became part of the East Coast Main Line.

A spur led from Marefield Junction on the main part of the railway, between John O'Gaunt and Tilton at Tilton on the Hill, to serve the city of Leicester to the west. This had the following stations

In 1865 a branch line was opened from Hatfield to St Albans, terminating at St Albans Abbey and with an intermediate stop at St Albans (London Road). The branch line was closed to passengers in 1951[2] and to freight in 1969.[3] The track was subsequently removed and the route turned into a 6.5 mile long cycle path called The Alban Way.