Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Wilson Bolton (1869-1908)
1908 Obituary 
GEORGE WILSON BOLTON was born at Kendal on 17th July 1869.
He received his early education at the Friends' School, Kendal, at the age of thirteen went to Sedbergh School, Yorkshire, where he remained until 1886, in which year he was articled to Messrs. Gilbert Gilkes and Co., of Kendal.
Having gone through the shops and drawing-office, he became in 1889 an improver in the locomotive works of Messrs. Neilson and Co., of Glasgow.
In the following year he went in the same capacity to the Atlas Works of Messrs. Sharp Stewart and Co., of Glasgow.
During the two years, 1889-1890, he also studied at the West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow, which was followed by a short period at Owens College, Manchester.
In 1891 he went to Ceylon as engineer-in-charge at the Orient Co., Veyangoda, and in 1895 was appointed by the Crown Agents for the Colonies as assistant foreman of workshops on the extension works of Colombo Harbour. Upon the opening of the new graving dock at Colombo he was appointed Engineer in charge of the machinery, which post he held until his death.
For several years he had served in the ranks of the Ceylon Planters' Rifle Corps, and in 1906 he received his commission as lieutenant. He attended the King's Coronation with a contingent of his company, and received the King's medal at Buckingham Palace.
His death took place at Colombo on 6th April 1908, in his thirty-ninth year.
He became an Associate Member of this Institution in 1904.