Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Stephenson Campbell (1848-1894)
1895 Obituary 
GEORGE STEPHENSON CAMPBELL, son of James Campbell, who was for many years an assistant to George Stephenson, was born on the 21st of May, 1848. The great engineer, after whom he was named, was to have been his godfather, but was ill and unable to attend the ceremony. Robert Stephenson, however, stood proxy.
In April, 1866, Mr. Campbell entered the service of the Staveley Coal and Iron Co. For eight years he acted as an assistant, and was then appointed chief surveyor of underground work, with part supervision of new works in connection with the collieries.
In November, 1876, he was placed in charge of the works of the Halkyn Mines District Drainage Company. His duties consisted in superintending, amongst other things, the repair of a mile of heading with brickwork and cast-iron nibbing, the sinking of a shaft 229 yards deep, and the driving-by machine-drills worked by compressed-air-of a level 8 feet square through mountain limestone for the purpose of draining the lead mines of the district.
From 1881 to 1884 he was employed by Mr. W. H. Barlow to take the measurements, both for the Company and the contractors, in connection with the Belsize Tunnel works. He was then engaged from 1884 to 1888 in Northumberland, for the contractors, on the construction of the Alnwick and Cornhill Railway.
Mr. Campbell’s next appointment was that of an engineer on the Great Southern Railway of Spain on the section from Murcia to Granada.
In December, 1893, he sailed for the United States to take up the post of Assistant Manager to the Netherlands Phosphate Mines in Florida. There he unfortunately contracted an illness, which ended fatally on the 7th of October, 1894. Mr. Campbell was elected an Associate Member on the 2nd of March, 1880.