George Saxon of Openshaw Engineering Works, South Street, Openshaw, Manchester were makers of stationary steam engines
1864 Company established by George Saxon to build mill engines. Exhibit at Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry
1878 4-cylinder Triple Expansion engine for Hawthorn Mill, Chadderton (1250/1300hp). Its small barring engine has survived, and is displayed at the Northern Mill Engine Society museum in Bolton. See photo.
1886 Engine for Stamford Commercial Weaving Co, Carrs Mill, Ashton-under-Lyne
1903 Engine for the Tudor Mill, Ashton-under-Lyne
1903 2200hp Twin Tandem Compound Engine for Magnet Mill, Oldham. A set of valve gear from the RH High Pressure cylinder of this engine is believed to survive at Manchester Museum of Science and Industry, but is not on display.
1913 Steam engine at Pear New Mill Co, Bredbury. This was a very large double ‘Manhattan’ engine, having horizontal high pressure cylinders and vertical low pressure cylinders, driving a pulley grooved for 73 ropes. It was designed to produce 4000 HP, but in the event only half of the mill was completed, so only half of the engine was used. Photographed by George Watkins in 1952.
1943 Company ceased trading.
Barring engine for mill engine. Exhibit at Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry
Sources of Information
- 'Stationary Steam Engines of Great Britain: Vol 10' by George Watkins.
- ‘Stationary Steam Engines of Great Britain, Volume 4: Wales, Cheshire & Shropshire‘, by George Watkins, Landmark Publishing Ltd