Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,485 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Ormond Kekewich

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 04:24, 28 January 2016 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

George Ormond Kekewich (1864-1909)

1909 Obituary [1]

GEORGE ORMOND KEKEWICH, eldest son of Sir George Kekewich, K.C.B., M.P., was born at Reading on 16th December 1864.

He was educated at Hastings College, the Crystal Palace Engineering Schools, and at the Royal College of Science, South Kensington.

In 1884 he went as fifth engineer in the steamship "Brooklyn City," and during 1885 he acted as surveyor to the Eliza Mine, Alsace, Germany.

In the following year he travelled to Ceylon where ho started practice as a consulting engineer, erecting tea machinery, water-wheels, etc.

At the end of 1888 he proceeded to Queensland, where for four years he was gold-mining and assaying, and then he received the appointment of Borough Engineer for Granville, a suburb of Sydney.

In July 1896 he returned to England, and obtained the post of River Engineer to the Middlesex County Council. Subsequently he was promoted to be Assistant Engineer and Surveyor.

His death took place at his residence at St. Margaret's-on-Thames on 6th February 1909, at the age of forty-four.

He became a Member of this Institution in 1899.

1910 Obituary [2]

GEORGE ORMOND KEKEWICH, eldest son of Sir George Kekewich, was born at Reading on the 16th December, 1864, and died at St. Margarets-on-Thames on the 6th February, 1909.

After practising in Ceylon and Australia, he was appointed in 1896 Rivers Engineer to the Middlesex County Council, subsequently becoming Assistant County Engineer and Surveyor.

He was elected an Associate Member on the 1st March, 1898.

See Also


Sources of Information