Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,439 pages of information and 230,054 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Little (1823-1896) of Hibbert and Platt
1896 July 24th. Died.
1896 Obituary 
GEORGE LITTLE was born in Leeds on 12th July 1823.
After serving his apprenticeship he went to Oldham, and obtained employment with the firm of Messrs. Hibbert and Platt, where he rose to the successive positions of foreman, manager, director, and managing director.
During the period of fifty-two years he introduced many labour-saving machines, more particularly those connected with planing, shaping, boring, turning, and woodworking; also arrangements for plate and plaster moulding, and for lifting and moving boxes in foundries. He was specially associated with the worsted and combing departments, in relation both to cotton, wool, and silk; and took a leading part in designing and constructing worsted machinery for working wool on the French system.
As a supporter of technical education he took an active interest in the Werneth Mechanics' Institute, of which he was one of the earliest members, and at one time president.
A few years ago his health gave indications of failing, and he removed to Southport, still continuing to take his share as a director in the management of the business.
His death took place at his residence in Southport on 24th July 1896, at the age of seventy-three.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1866.
1896 Obituary 
GEORGE LITTLE, a director of Messrs. Platt Brothers (Limited), Oldham, died on July 30, 1896, at the age of seventy-three. A native of Leeds, he had been connected with Messrs. Platt Brothers for fifty-two years as workman, foreman, manager, and director. He was very successful in devising labour-saving appliances, for which he held many patents. He took special interest in the Werneth Mechanics' Institute, and was a warm advocate of technical education.
He was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1881.