Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,118 pages of information and 231,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Forrester and Company of Vauxhall Foundry, Liverpool
See George Forrester
1827-1890 Listed in Liverpool directories as ironfounders
1834 Commenced building locomotives but ceased in 1847
1847 The largest order was for fifteen 2-4-0s for the South Eastern Railway. These were of the Stephenson "long boiler" pattern.
1849 Partnership change. '...the undersigned, at Liverpool, as Engineers and Ironfounders, under the firm of George Forrester and Company, is dissolved, as on and from the 1st day of May instant. All debts due to and by the concern will be received and paid by the undersigned, Walter Fergus Mc Gregor. Signed: Samuel Sandbach, Henry R. Sandbach, Walter F. MacGregor,...'
1851 Cornish engine for Liverpool Waterworks (Green Lane Station)
1852 Oscillating marine engine of 45 hp
1857 Mention of 'Walter Fergus MacGregor, Andrew Wylie, and Anthony Bower, all of Liverpool, in the county of Lancaster, Engineers, carrying on business under the firm of George Forrester and Co.,'
1881 Made the hauling engine and triple reduction gearing for the Honolulu Marine Railway (a slipway for the repair of ships up to 1500 tons displacement and 180 ft long). Special chains with long links were made by Henry Wood and Co of Liverpool.
1892 Liquidation of the company.
Six-column beam engine at the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board workshops in Birkenhead, photographed by George Watkins in 1935.
Location of Vauxhall Foundry
The 1890 O.S. map shows 'Vauxhall Foundry (Disused)' with its entrance on Vauxhall Road, and bounded on the north by Banastre Street, on the south by Midghall Street, and on the east by Stockdale Street and by low quality housing. A branch of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal terminated a short distance from the NE corner of the foundry. Everything of interest has been cleared, and only Midghall St. and Vauxhall Rd. remain.