Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Farren

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 16:51, 3 October 2019 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

George Farren (1836-1901)

1901 April 10th. Died

1901 Obituary [1]

GEORGE FARREN, born in London on the 5th June, 1836, was the eldest son of the late Mr. George Farren, barrister.

After studying for some time under Mr. Joseph Bonomi, Architect, the subject of this notice became an assistant to Messrs. Freeman, by whom he was placed in charge of the masonry work for the Surrey Docks, the Hanois Lighthouse on the Coast of Guernsey, and the West London Extension Railway.

From 1863 to 1867 he was engaged as engineer and general manager of the Lundy Granite Company, and in 1868 he was appointed to a similar position in connection with the Welsh Granite Company, of which he subsequently became Managing Director.

The quarries of the West Granite Company at Llanaelhaiarn developed rapidly under Mr. Farren’s management, and now form the staple industry of a large district, and provide employment for a great number of men. Among the works which he designed and constructed for the Welsh Granite Company may be mentioned Trevor Harbour at Llanaelhaiarn, which now forms a small harbour of refuge wherein steamers up to 500 tons burden are regularly loaded, five inclines of a total length of 1,880 yards, and a ‘factory for the repair and maintenance of the company’s works and locomotives. He also laid out, designed and constructed the village of Trevor, with a church and schoolhouse, and efficient drainage.

In 1895-96 he designed and carried out the works for the Gwylwyr quarry, including a landing-stage running into the open sea, and a 3-ft gauge railway.

Mr. Farren’s relations with his workmen were good; he took considerable interest in their welfare, and in that of their families, and when from time to time disputes arose, they were, as a rule, amicably settled. He was a member of the Carnarvon Harbour Trust, and, in that capacity, made a study of the formation of sandbanks in the Menai Straits, and of the means of preventing the silting up of the navigable channel. A member of the Carnarvon County Council since its formation, he acted as Chairman of its Light Railways Committee. For many years he sat on the magisterial bench, being, at the time of his death, senior magistrate of the Carnarvon county division, and in 1899 he acted as High Sheriff of the county,

Mr. Farren contributed several papers to the Liverpool Engineering Society, of which he was President in the year 1897. He was also a member of the Statistical Society.

He died at his residence, Trefenai, Carnarvon, on the 10th April, 1901.

Mr. Farren was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 14th January, 1868, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 15th December, 1896.

See Also


Sources of Information