Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,008 pages of information and 231,555 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bassett's Liquorice All-Sorts of Owlerton, Sheffield. Telephone: Sheffield Owlerton 44254. Cables: "Bassett, Sheffield". London Office and Showrooms at Adelaide House, King William Street, London, EC4
1934 The company moved to Owlerton when Bassett's son-in-law, Samuel Meggit Johnson, built a large factory on Beulah Road.
Inter-War. The factory was enlarged as new products such as Jelly Babies, Wine Gums and Liquorice Novelties were added to the range.
1939 In April, a huge fire severely damaged the building, as hundreds of tons of sugar burned with ferocity.
1947 British Industries Fair Advert for Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts and Bertie Bassett. Manufacturers of the Original Liquorice Allsorts, Liquorice Cream Lines, Pontefract Cakes. Bright and Crystallized Gums, Empire Mixture, After Dinner Mints, Menthol and Eucalyptus Gums and Medicated Lozenges. (Foodstuffs Section - Earls Court, 1st Floor, Stand No. 594)