Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,402 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Geological Survey and Museum

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 08:52, 25 August 2020 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1835 The Geological Survey was founded "to promote geological science" in connection with the Trigonometrical Survey under the Board of Ordnance in 1835. It continued the work of Sir Henry de la Beche, who became the Survey's first director general.

1835 The Museum of Economic Geology was formed, under the Office of Woods and Works at the suggestion of Sir Henry de la Beche, and opened to the public in 1841.

1845 The two bodies were brought together in the same organisation when the survey was transferred to the Office of Woods and Works.

1851 The Museum of Practical Geology and the Government School of Mines applied to the Arts opened in a purpose-designed building in Jermyn Street. The officers of the Geological Survey became the lecturers and professors of the School of Mines.

1853 the Geological Survey and Museum were placed under the direction of the Science and Art Department of the Board of Trade

1856 Placed under the Education Department of the Privy Council

1867 The Geological Survey of Scotland was absorbed

1899 Placed under the Board of Education.

1919 the Geological Survey and Museum were transferred to the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, and the Committee of Advice was replaced by a Geological Survey Board which was charged with managing the Survey more generally.

1935 The Survey and Museum were moved to Exhibition Road in South Kensington

1947 A branch office was opened in Belfast to undertake a survey of Northern Ireland.

1965 The separate Northern Ireland operation was closed and the Survey and Museum were combined with the Overseas Geological Surveys to form the Institute of Geological Sciences, under the Natural Environment Research Council.

1984 the institute was renamed the British Geological Survey.

1985 The survey moved to Keyworth near Nottingham, while the museum merged with the Natural History Museum.

1988 the Geological Museum ceased to have any research functions, and became a permanent exhibition within the Natural History Museum.

See Also


Sources of Information

  • National Archives [1]