Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,485 pages of information and 233,919 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Francis Humphrey Wedge

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 16:10, 21 October 2014 by RozB (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Francis Humphrey Wedge (1864-1912)

1913 Obituary [1]

FRANCIS HUMPHREY WEDGE was born at Brewood, Staffordshire, on 23rd August 1864.

He was educated at various schools until 1879 when he was apprenticed at the Great Western Railway Works, Wolverhampton; and on its completion at the end of 1886, to gain further experience he worked in the Gun Factory at Woolwich Arsenal, and with Messrs. D. Napier and Sons, Lambeth.

In 1889 he accepted an appointment with Messrs. J. Harrison Carter, milling engineers, and later, until 1892, with Messrs. E. R. and F. Turner, as draughtsman.

Leaving England in the early part of 1892 for South Africa, he commenced business in East London in partnership with Mr. E. Mallett, under the style of Mallett and Co., general and milling engineers, and, upon the death of Mr. Mallett, he took over the business under the old name.

From that time be was responsible for the design and construction of some of the largest flour mills throughout South Africa. He also carried out some irrigation schemes, including the laying down of steam- engines, suction-gas plants, and pumps, etc. To cope with the increased business, the workshops at East London were enlarged, and with the facilities afforded, the manufacture of all kinds of milling machinery, pumps, etc., was carried out.

In the early part of 1912 he had undergone an operation from which he never recovered, and his death took place at East London, South Africa, on 19th June 1912, in his forty-eighth year.

He was elected a Member of this Institution in 1908.

See Also


Sources of Information