Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,318 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

F. and R. Pratt and Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 10:18, 6 January 2012 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Earthenware manufacturer at the Fenton Potteries, High St., Fenton

Early 1800s: The business of Felix Edward Pratt (1813-1894) and Richard Pratt was founded. The company became an important manufacturer of domestic earthenware and polychrome transfer-printed pot lids used for food, pharmaceutical products and toiletries. The domestic earthenware produced included relief moulded earthenware (especially jugs) and tableware with underglaze, multi-coloured decoration.

Early 1840s: the artist Jesse Austin joined Pratts; he was an accomplished watercolour artist and engraver.

c.1916 The company was acquired by H. T. Robinson

1920 Became a subsidiary of Robinson’s Cauldon Potteries Ltd operating from that company’s Cauldon Place Works.

1933 Harrison and Son (Hanley) Ltd purchased Cauldon Potteries Ltd.

1936 Pratt's operated from Harrison’s Crescent Pottery (George Jones and Sons Ltd)

1958 the Pratt name and intellectual property were acquired by E. Brain and Co Ltd.

1967 Wedgwoods purchased E. Brain and Co.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • Pottery history [1]