F. H. Masters
Major F. H. Masters (c1883-1958) of Engineering
1958 Obituary 
WE have learned with regret that Major F. H. Masters, who served technical journalism for more than fifty years, died at Welwyn Garden City on January 29, at the age of seventy-five.
He was born at Hednesford, Staffordshire, and was educated at St. Paul's School and at Heidelberg College, Germany. After studying electrical engineering as a pupil of Silvanus P. Thompson, at Finsbury Technical College from 1901 to 1903 he worked for a short time in the test room of the Foster Arc Light Company and then as a substation attendant on the Central London Railway.
From 1904 to 1906 he served in the electrical engineer's department of H.M. Dockyard, Chatham.
He joined the staff of The Electrician (now The Electrical Journal) in 1906, as junior assistant to the editor, Mr. W. R. Cooper, and in 1910 he became chief assistant editor, a position he held until the outbreak of war in 1914.
He was mob1bsed as a Subaltern, having been commissioned in the Territorial Army in 1910 after eight years service in the Electrical Engineers (Volunteers), a body which was formed to supplement the Regular Army in the operation of coast defence searchlights. After being demobilised in 1919 he rejoined The Electrician, as editor.
In February, 1927, he joined the editorial staff of our contemporary, Engineering, where he was mainly concerned with articles on electrical matters, until September, 1956, when he retired from full-time duties. His career with Engineering was interrupted during the second world war when he served in the Ministry of Economic Warfare and, later, on the Control Commission in Germany.