Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,991 pages of information and 232,842 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
At the end of 1888 and during 1889 the Electric Traction Co, employing Immisch and Co machinery and expertise, instigated a trial of accumulator tramcars on the Barking Road section of the North Metropolitan Tramways Co's network. This small mile-long single-line track from Plaistow to Canning Town was chosen to prove the economy and reliability of the electric system. The 52 seat tramcars, 6 in total (4 on the road at any one time), ran daily from June 1889 until August 1892.
1890 Demonstrated electric launches at the Edinburgh Exhibition
1890 Hoping for a large scale expansion of electric traction on the existing horse-drawn tramways, Immisch and Co, together with the Electric Traction Co chaired by Viscount Bury, sold themselves to the General Electric Power and Traction Co. This new company soon foundered however due to its reliance on rechargeable battery traction.
1894 Another company of the same name was registered