Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,932 pages of information and 230,620 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Makers of heat treatment and electro-plating plant, of Weybridge, Surrey
1910 Company founded.
WWII Installed 1500 electric furnaces, especially important for treating aluminium and magnesium alloys for aircraft. Also important uses with alloy steels for aero engines and gas turbines. Also supplied equipment to manufacture metals for radar uses. More than 8 million tank track links were cast from electric arc furnaces. The TOCCO high frequency process was used for surface hardening. Electric steel, with excellent armour piercing properties, had become standard for tank turrets. Also used in brass melting for shell cartridges. Developed knowledge in use of molten salts. Electro-chemical process for cleaning shell cases.
1955 Name changed to Efco.
1958 Agreement with AEI's subsidiary Birlec to form a joint venture Birlec-Efco (Melting) at Aldridge, Staffs, to design and manufacture electric melting furnaces for the ferrous and non-ferrous industries, and smelting furnaces and induction heating equipment. Subsidiaries included Electro-Chemical Engineering Co, Electric Resistance Furnace Co and Royce Electric Furnaces.
1960 Had transferred the melting and induction heating divisions to Aldridge. Electro-Chemical Engineering Co had formed a joint venture company, Acme-Efco, with Acme Manufacturing Co of Detroit, USA, to design and manufacture automatic polishing machines based on technical information from Acme
1961 Manufacturers of electro metallurgical and electro-plating equipment.
1962 GEC and Efco agreed to merge their industrial heat-treatment furnace interests; Efco would supply furnaces of GEC design and would absorb the GEC personnel; GEC would supply their electrical and mechanical equipment for furnaces In the event Efco purchased GEC's interests. Efco had formed 2 new divisions - vacuum and fuel-fired
1964 Acquired the remainder of the shareholding in Heat Treatment and Brazing Co, which provided contract heat treatment - part of Furnaces Division; Chemical Engineering Division saw increase in orders for proprietary plating processes
1964 Efco-Stuart Electrolyser Ltd was established to make hydrogen generators
1965 Efco-Stuart Electrolyser Ltd received an order from Fine Tubes (a US owned company) for a hydrogen plant to be installed at Plymouth. The company had entered into agreement with a Dutch company making wire mesh belts and conveyers. Acquired an interest in Rosehall Engineering Works Ltd, the main sub-contractor in Scotland. The manufacturing capacity of Metal Welding and Fabricating Co of Hendon, previously dormant, had been restored to do light fabrication for the company
1966 Udylite of USA took 15 percent interest in the company
1967 Efco-Stuart Electrolyser Ltd, which was half owned by the company, acquired United CO2 Ltd, manufacturer of generators for furnace atmospheres. 
1968 Hooker Chemical of USA (which owned Udylite Corp) acquired Efco
1969 Was a part of Hooker Metal Finishing International
1970 Queen's Award for Export gained for electro-plating and heat treatment machines