Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,200 pages of information and 245,646 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Edwards, Ringer and Bigg

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 14:26, 18 January 2024 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The firm of Edwards, Ringer and Bigg (Bristol). which is a combination of four old Bristol tobacco businesses, traces its origin to 1813 when William Ringer set up business in Bristol.

1893 Edwards, Ringer & Company was joined by the old established Franklyn, Davey and Co, Bristol

1901 Became part of the Imperial Tobacco Co

1961 W. A. and A. C. Churchman amalgamated with Lambert & Butler and Edwards, Ringer and Bigg, to become first Churchman, Lambert & Ringer, then renamed Churchmans in 1965.


Tobacco Firm's History.[1]

To those of us who remember Sir George Edwards, several times Mayor, and Sir Edward B. James, once Lord Mayor — not to mention other members of the well-known firm of Edwards, Ringer and Bigg — it is interesting to read in a trade journal that this important tobacco concern had its origin in a business carried on at 22, High Street and 3, Walter Lane, Temple, from 1813 to 1844 by William Ringer, who was succeeded his son Charles Ringer.

In 1844, W. H. Edwards joined the firm Ringer, which then took the title of Edwards, Ringer and Company. After nearly thirty years' successful association with the business, Mr W. H. Edwards died in 1870, and a year later, his brother, Mr George William Edwards, later Sir George, gave up his profession of stockbroker and entered the firm, whose business at that time was being carried at 90, Redcliff Street. George William Edwards was admitted to the Bristol Burgess Roll in 1841, and a study of the Roll reveals that from 1649 there is an unbroken record the name of Edwards being admitted. Their professions are all given tobacco pipe makers, but it is impossible to ascertain what link there between them and George William Edwards.

Just prior his entry into the firm to be exact — Edwards, Ringer and Company took over the tobacco business George Leake and Company, which was established in Water Lane in 1848.

In 1885 Edwards, Ringer and Company moved to 60, Redcliff Street, and eight years later amalgamated with W. O. Bigg and Company, this latter firm being the final result of various business associations extending since 1805.

In Later Years the formation of the Imperial Tobacco Company, in 1901. Sir Edward James became director of the company and managing director of the Edwards, Ringer and Bigg branch with his nephew, Mr Walter James as manager, the latter having entered the service of the firm 1897. Sir Edward James continued with the branch until forced to give up owing to ill-health, and in July, 1927, he retired from the Board of the Imperial Tobacco Company. He was succeeded as manager of the Edwards, Ringer and Bigg Branch by Mr. Walter James, who. in 1929, was appointed director of the company. He had had, since 1927, as his assistant manager, Mr Gilbert James Sir Edward son who, however, retired from business in February, 193,. having decided to follow in his father's footsteps and take an active part in the civic life of Bristol. Mr. Guy James then became assistant manager and remained in this position until November 1933, when, on his father's retirement, he was made manager of the branch.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Western Daily Press - Wednesday 24 April 1935