Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,408 pages of information and 233,867 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Edward Beversham Hanson

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 13:13, 9 May 2015 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Edward Beversham Hanson (1858-1902)

1903 Obituary [1]

EDWARD BEVERSHAM HANSON, aon of the Rev. Stephen Hanson of Weeting, Norfolk, was born on the 25th March, 1855, and was educated at Uppingham, Cheltenham College, and the Royal Indian Engineering College at Coopers Hill.

After being employed on a practical course on the construction of the Northampton and Rugby section of the London and North Western Railway, he joined the Indian Public Works Department in 1880, and was posted to Tanjore.

Two years later he returned on sick leave, and subsequently retired from the service.

After two short engagements in London in 1883, he was appointed in January, 1884, District Engineer in charge of lines open for traffic on the London Tilbury and Southend Railway, under Mr. A. L. Stride.

He held that post until June, 1891, when, after serious illness, he was compelled to resign and to go to South Africa. On the recovery of his health he entered the service of the Public Works Department of Cape Colony in August, 1892.

In 1894 Mr. Hanson returned to England, and for some years practised privately in Devonshire and Cornwall, being engaged principally on light railway work.

In August, 1889, he accepted the post of Engineer to Messrs. R. Neill and Sons, of Manchester, on the contract for the widening of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway at Bolton, but illness compelled him to relinquish work in October, 1900.

He died at Bolton on the 3rd December, 1902.

Mr. Hanson was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 1st May, 1883, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 6th March, 1894.

See Also


Sources of Information