Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,770 pages of information and 230,103 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bolton Street Station, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 0EY. For visitor information please see their website.
The East Lancashire Railway (ELR) was created by an Act of Parliament in 1846, as an amalgamation of two railway schemes.
The Manchester, Bury, and Rossendale Railway was incorporated in 1844, as a means of affording direct communication between Bury and Manchester, with the extension to Rawtenstall as an afterthought. The promoters wished to reach the intended Manchester station at Hunts Bank (Victoria Station) by means of a junction with the Manchester and Leeds Railway at Collyhurst, but the Leeds company was promoting its own scheme. Consequently it made an agreement with the Manchester and Bolton Railway, to reach Victoria by means of a junction at Clifton.
Public interest was aroused by the scheme, and pressure was exerted to extend the line further. This could only be done by promoting a separate line. The Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington and Colne Railway Extension was incorporated in 1845, the Act making provision for subsequent amalgamation with the original company.
1859 As from August, 1859, the East Lancashire Railway was amalgamated with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. One sequel to this action was the valuable running powers from Colne to Manchester and Liverpool given to the Midland Company.