Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,908 pages of information and 230,121 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Cleveland Dockyard

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 07:49, 15 April 2016 by RozB (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
1864. Cleveland Iron Ship Yard letterhead.

After 1866, when Backhouse and Dixon's yard closed for a period, they added the former Candlish and Fox and David Jays yards to establish the Cleveland Dockyard, which they ran with the help of Dixon's younger brother Waynman.

1872 Backhouse and Dixon advertised as Cleveland iron ship yard[1].

1873 Raylton Dixon took over the yard completely when Thomas Backhouse retired[2]. The yard became known as the Cleveland Dockyard.

1889 Dixons was the largest shipbuilder on the Tees. Seven of the ten largest ships built on the Tees between 1889 and 1914 were made at the Cleveland Dockyard, including the SS Montrose (1897), the first Teesside ship over 5000 tons, and the SS Manchester City (1898).

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Commercial Directory and Shippers Guide, 1872
  2. Northern Echo, 12 October 1889