Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,039 pages of information and 213,154 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Clayton and Shuttleworth: XC 9578"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 14: Line 14:
 
In 1902 the '''Excelsior''' was sold to [[Alfred J. Ward and Sons]] of Egham, Surrey and remained in service until 1921. The '''Excelsior''' was then sold to [[Henry Woodham and Sons]] of Catford before finally returning to [[Alfred J. Ward and Sons]] to the end of its working life in December 1956.
 
In 1902 the '''Excelsior''' was sold to [[Alfred J. Ward and Sons]] of Egham, Surrey and remained in service until 1921. The '''Excelsior''' was then sold to [[Henry Woodham and Sons]] of Catford before finally returning to [[Alfred J. Ward and Sons]] to the end of its working life in December 1956.
  
In 1956 the engine was sold for scrap to [[J W Hardwick and Sons]] of West Ewell in Surrey where it remained until 1974 before being bought for preservation. There have been four owners in the preservation of the '''Excelsior''', with the current owners being the Poole Family from East Leake near Loughborough who bought the engine in April 2010.
+
In 1956 the engine was sold for scrap to [[J. W. Hardwick and Sons]] of West Ewell in Surrey where it remained until 1974 before being bought for preservation. There have been four owners in the preservation of the '''Excelsior''', with the current owners being the Poole Family from East Leake near Loughborough who bought the engine in April 2010.
  
 
==See Also==
 
==See Also==

Latest revision as of 16:34, 7 May 2014

1902. Reg No: XC 9578.
1902. Reg No: XC 9578.
1902. Reg No: XC 9578.
1902. Reg No: XC 9578.
1902. Reg No: XC 9578.

Note: This is a sub-section of Clayton and Shuttleworth.

1902. Road Roller. No. 34980. Excelsior. Reg No: XC 9578

This engine is the oldest recorded of the eleven surviving Clayton and Shuttleworth Road Rollers with it being the only one of its type to have been preserved. The Excelsior was designed by William Fletcher who was the Chief Draughtsman at Clayton and Shuttleworth between 1887 (or 1897) and 1906. Of the approximate 20 surviving engines Fletcher designed, the Excelsior is the only surviving Clayton Road Roller.

In 1902 the Excelsior was sold to Alfred J. Ward and Sons of Egham, Surrey and remained in service until 1921. The Excelsior was then sold to Henry Woodham and Sons of Catford before finally returning to Alfred J. Ward and Sons to the end of its working life in December 1956.

In 1956 the engine was sold for scrap to J. W. Hardwick and Sons of West Ewell in Surrey where it remained until 1974 before being bought for preservation. There have been four owners in the preservation of the Excelsior, with the current owners being the Poole Family from East Leake near Loughborough who bought the engine in April 2010.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information