Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,912 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Brewery operated at the Anchor Brewery, Mile End Road, London.
1963 Acquired Tennents.
1965 Acquired Woodhead's Brewery Ltd, 112 St. Paul's Road, Islington (which had been registered in 1915 as Edmund Woodhead and Sons Ltd, re-registered as Woodhead's Canonbury Brewery Ltd April 1936 and finally registered as Woodhead's in 1946. Woodheads' took over Albert Ward, Tower Brewery, Ashenden Road, Hackney in 1910 and the South London Brewery Ltd, 134 Southwark Bridge Road in 1944, founded in 1760 and was registered in April 1937 as Jenner's Brewery Ltd. The name being changed in 1939. All brewing was transferred to Southwark Bridge Road in 1949.
1975 The Anchor Brewery ceased production in January; the brewery buildings have since been demolished.
Bottling and warehousing facilities were also housed in a former distillery at Three Mills, in Bromley-by-Bow. Today, the site at Three Mills is used as offices serving a film studio complex, and the main Anchor Brewery site has been redeveloped as housing and a shopping centre.