Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,437 pages of information and 230,044 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Philip Cotton (1832-1904)
1904 Obituary 
CHARLES PHILIP COTTON died on the 10th March, 1904, at his residence in Bray, Co. Wicklow, in his seventy-second year.
The son of the Venerable Henry Cotton, Archdeacon of Cashel, he was born at Dublin on the 19th January, 1832, and received his education at St. Columba’s College and at Stakallan, Co. Meath.
After studying at Trinity College, Dublin, he served a pupilage under the late W. R. Lefanu, who was then Chief Engineer to the Great Southern and Western, Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford, and other Irish railways.
On completing his pupilage, Mr. Cotton acted as Resident Engineer on several of the lines being constructed under the direction of Mr. Lefanu, who subsequently appointed him his chief assistant. When Mr. Lefanu retired in 1863, he was succeeded by Mr. Cotton and his partner, Mr. P. B. Flemyng, and in the same year the subject of this notice was appointed Engineer to the “Ballast Board,” Dublin, which then had charge of the Irish lighthouses. This appointment he held until 1867, when the department was reorganized.
In 1879 Mr. Cotton was appointed Chief Engineering Inspector to the Local Government Board for Ireland, and he continued to occupy this responsible position until his retirement in 1899. He served on the Royal Commission on Sewage Disposal, appointed in 1898, and also on the Vice-Regal Commission on the Health of the City of Dublin, of which he was Chairman. . . . [more]