Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Byker Bridge is a 344.65m (1130 ft) long road bridge that carries the A193 road over the River Ouseburn in Newcastle upon Tyne. It carries traffic from the city centre and Central Motorway in the west, to the area of Byker to the east, over the lower Ouseburn valley, with the river emptying into the north side of the River Tyne, to the south.
The Bridge was opened to pedestrians on 19 October 1878, and then to carts and carriages on 27 January 1879. There was originally a half penny toll, which was withdrawn on 12 April 1895.
Originally 9.15m (30ft) wide, the bridge was widened to 15.25m (50ft) in 1899, by the addition of footpaths cantilevered out from the edge of the brickwork.
The deck of the bridge was rebuilt during 1985/6 with the addition of pre-stressed concrete beams on cantilevers to support both footways and new crash barriers.