Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,341 pages of information and 230,176 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Builders, building contractors

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 16:50, 3 May 2012 by PatriciaW (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Messrs. J Parnell & Son

Established about 1850 by William Bishop Parnell (1791-1864). Succeeded by his son John Parnell (1816-1885). A well known company of family building contractors based in Oliver Street, Rugby, Warwickshire. Became a private limited company in 1948.

Workmanship in the town of Rugby includes:-

Restoration of the parish church of St Andrew, following demolition in the 19th century. Holy Trinity Church. Rugby School Chapel. The Clock Tower in Rugby town centre. The old water tower in Barby Road. Schools in the Rugby area including the Sunday School Chapel. Rugby Railway Station.

Workmanship outside of Rugby includes:-

Keble College Chapel, Oxford and Oxford municipal buildings. Laboratory departments for Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford. Railway Stations: Stafford, Crewe, Holyhead, Nuneaton and Market Harborough. Military depots at Derby and Richmond. 120 houses in New Bradwell, near Wolverton, Buckinghamshire. Holyhead Hotel and docks' extension. St Paul's Schools, London. Dolls' house made in Oliver Street, Rugby (including its wooden furniture) for the British Empire Exhibition in Wembley, Middlesex 1924, the house placed in Windsor Castle following the Exhibition.

SOURCES OF INFORMATION Family history archives - Rugby Library. Leicester Evening Mail - Monday, March 21st 1960.