British School of Motoring
BSM of 5 Coventry Street, Piccadilly Circus, London, W.
1910 Founded by Stanley Coryton Hugh Roberts in a garage in Peckham
Success allowed Roberts to relocate the business to Coventry Street. At one point he rented a floor of the building to the newly formed Automobile Association.
Business boosted by the introduction of the Highway Code in 1930 and of the driving test in 1935.
1973 Acquired by Sir Anthony Jacobs
1990 Management buyout of the business
1992 Business floated on the Stock Exchange
1997 The business misread the introduction of the written test, leading to a loss of one tenth of its instructors
1997 Acquired by the RAC
c.2005 Acquired by Aviva when it acquired RAC plc.
2009 BSM was acquired by a German private equity company
Sources of Information
- The Times Feb. 12, 2009