Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,204 pages of information and 215,454 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Salisbury House, London Wall, London, EC.
Works of Landore, South Wales.
1888 Mannesmann Tube Co Ltd registered with £300,000 capital. 
c1890 Took over Landore steel works, Swansea. 
1900 Catalogue of weldless steel tubes, fittings, gas bottles, poles and tubular specialities. 
1900 June. Tramways and Light Railways Exhibition at Islington. Showed traction, arc and trolley poles. 
1913 In order to meet increasing demand, the site for a new tube works was found at Newport, Mon.
1914 Manufacturers of weldless steel tubes. Specialities: weldless steel tubes for boiler, steam and hydraulic purposes, telegraph and traction poles, spigot and faucet pipes, hollow davits, derricks and deck supports, gas cylinders, brass and copper tubes. Employees 1,500 to 1,600. 
WWI As an Austro-German owned firm, the company was taken over by The Custodian of Enemy Property and continued to produce materials for the war effort. Extensions to the plant were authorised by Engineer Captain Richards (Royal Navy) and were in progress or planned at the plant by May 1916.
The works were not returned to the previous owners after hostilities ceased.
1918 The new works was brought into operation. The company decided to restrict the manufacture of the smaller tubes to the Landore works, whilst tubes above 6 inches and up to 16 inches outside diameter would be produced at the Newport works.
1926 The Mannesmann Tube Works, Landore, near Swansea, restarted operations with supplies of foreign coals, with the hope of being able to maintain work, as they have sufficient coals, it was estimated, to last to the end of the coal stoppage.
1936 New company formed United Tube (Holdings) Ltd to acquire British Mannesmann Tube Co. The new company would enter into agreements with Mannesmannrohren Werke, Stewarts and Lloyds, Tube Investments and others.
The tube works in Newport had been planned before the outbreak of the First World War
1914 Work began on construction in early 1914, just east of the Orb Steelworks.
It is unclear whether the works operated during WWI although an official source states that the factory opened in March 1916 for the manufacture of steel and iron tubes. The first products were also said to be forgings for shells and gas cylinders.
1916 Extensions to the plant were authorised by Engineer Captain Richards R.N. and were in progress or planned at the plant by May 1916
By 1921 the works were well established
As an Austro-German owned firm, it was taken over by The Custodian of Enemy Property and was not returned to the ownership of the Mannesmann family until 1926.
The works continued to produce tubes until 1972.