Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,349 pages of information and 230,029 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Bristol Motor Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 15:51, 23 November 2019 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Company Works.
1905.
1906. 16/20 Type T Tourer. Exhibit at Bristol's 'M Shed'.
1906. 16/20 Type T Tourer. Exhibit at Bristol's 'M Shed'.
1906. 16/20 Type T Tourer. Exhibit at Bristol's 'M Shed'.
1906. 16/20 Type T Tourer. Exhibit at Bristol's 'M Shed'.
July 1908.

1898 W. M. Appleton appointed Arthur Edward Johnson as manager, of this motor retailer

1899 May. Advertisement for Daimler, Benz and Beeston models. Bristol Motor Co, 5 Redcross Street, Bristol.[1]

1900 The manager of the Bristol Motor Car Co is A. E. Johnson.[2]

1902 Built first car, based on the design on the contemporary two-cylinder Daimler.

1904 A further six or so cars were produced.

1906. 16/20 Type T Tourer. Only 18 made. Chassis produced at Redcross Street, Bristol and the bodywork at Perry and Sons at Stokecroft

1909 The sales and service side of the business was transferred to the Bristol Wagon and Carriage Works Co

1921 Arthur Edward Johnson re-founded the Bristol Motor Company.

1921 News item. 'BRISTOL MOTOR COMPANY, LIMITED. This company are the successors to the motor department of the Bristol Wagon and Carriage Works Co., Ltd., but with change in the management, the late manager, A. E. Johnson, being the managing director of the new company, the staff and engineers, all being retained. The only alteration is the number of the telephone, which the motoring public will no doubt welcome as now being self-contained private branch exchange for the motor department only, thus saving any annoyance and delay which has been experienced in the past. The telephone number now 4612 (two lines). The company was unable to exhibit it at the Bath and West of England show, but have fine display of the latest productions of the automobile at the old address near the station at 133, Victoria Street, adjoining the agricultural department showrooms of the old company. The motor body patents of the "Condick" and "Clifton" all-weather bodies have been taken over by Bristol Motor Co., Ltd., with which the managing director was associated for the past eleven years. The motor agencies, some of which the manager has controlled for upwards of 19 years, are held by Bristol Motor Co., Ltd., viz., Vauxhall, Talbot, Vulcan. Belsize. Morris - Oxford and Cowley, Ruston-Hornsby, Thornycroft, and Sentinel steam wagons. Fleets of the two latter being strong evidence daily doing consistent work possibly unparalleled the history of the automobile.'[3]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Western Daily Press - Friday 12 May 1899
  2. Autocar 1900/01/13
  3. Western Daily Press - Friday 10 June 1921